• Home
  • Our Team
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Saturday, November 29, 2025
Jammu Kashmir News Service | JKNS
  • Home
  • Top Stories
  • Kashmir
  • Jammu
  • National
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Oped
  • World
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Top Stories
  • Kashmir
  • Jammu
  • National
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Oped
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Jammu Kashmir News Service | JKNS
No Result
View All Result
Home Top Stories

AstraZeneca vaccine followed by Pfizer dose ‘highly’ safe, effective: Study

JK News Service by JK News Service
May 19, 2021
in Top Stories
A A
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

ASpanish study on mixing Covid-19 vaccines has found that giving a dose of Pfizer’s drug to people who already received a first shot of AstraZeneca vaccine is highly safe and effective, preliminary results showed on Tuesday.

The Combivacs study, run by Spain’s state-backed Carlos III Health Institute, found the presence of IgG antibodies in the bloodstream was between 30 and 40 times higher in people who got the follow-up Pfizer shot than in a control group who only received one AstraZeneca dose.

Meanwhile, the presence of neutralising antibodies rose sevenfold after a Pfizer dose, significantly more than the doubling effect observed after a second AstraZeneca shot.

 

Around 670 volunteers between the ages of 18-59 who had already received a first dose of AstraZeneca’s vaccine participated in the study, with some 450 given a Pfizer dose.

Just 1.7% of the participants reported severe side effects, which were limited to headaches, muscle pain and general malaise, said Dr Magdalena Campins, one of the study’s leaders.

“These are not symptoms that can be considered serious,” she said.

In a UK “mix-and-match” study, first findings recently showed that people vaccinated with a shot of Pfizer’s vaccine followed by a dose of AstraZeneca’s, or vice versa, were more likely to report mild or moderate symptoms such as headaches or chills than if they received two of the same type. Data on immune responses are expected in the coming months.

Spain embarked on the study to determine how best to proceed after limiting AstraZeneca’s shot to people aged over 60 due to concerns about blood clotting in younger people.

That restriction caused widespread uncertainty and meant some younger people who had already received a first dose have been excluded from getting a second.

“Today’s results support the possibility of vaccinating patients who have received the first dose from AstraZeneca, but the decision is not up to the investigators of this study,” said Jesus Antonio Frias, clinical director at Carlos III.

Previous Post

New Covid cases fall by 13% in India last week, still highest globally: WHO

Next Post

Possibility of a third COVID wave: J&K forms 10-member committee to prepare action plan

JK News Service

JK News Service

Next Post

Possibility of a third COVID wave: J&K forms 10-member committee to prepare action plan

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • Our Team
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Dalgate, Near C.D hospital Srinagar Jammu and Kashmir. Pincode: 190001.
Email us: editorjkns@gmail.com

© JKNS - Designed and Developed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Top Stories
  • Kashmir
  • Jammu
  • National
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Oped
  • World

© JKNS - Designed and Developed by GITS.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.